HO scale EMD SW1200
HO scale EMD SW1200
General Motors Diesel (GMD) began production of the first example of the 1,200-hp SW1200 switcher model in January 1954. Built through until May 1966, over 700 examples of this versatile road switcher were built by EMD with an additional 280+ built by GMD in Canada.
As dieselization progressed, many roads found themselves in need of a compact, lightweight locomotive to replace steam power on branch lines and other over-the-road assignments (freight and passenger) not requiring a full-fledged mainline road switcher. The SW1200 combined the right size and muscle for these assignments.
The SW1200 was available with both Type A and Flexicoil trucks, and the Rapido model represents those options. Other features available on the SW1200 include different fuel tanks, unique spark arrestors, MU cables, folding end-platform drop steps and different lighting options as specific to each road.
– Designed from original blueprints and field measurements
– Heavy diecast frame, chassis and gearboxes for superior pulling power
– Rapido’s renowned smooth-running drive system
– Working number boards and classification lights
– Fully detailed Type A or Flexicoil trucks, as appropriate
– Full cab interior with working cab interior light and non-working fire extinguisher and fridge (where appropriate)
– Working headlights, inspection lights and illuminated number boards
– Separate handrails, including crash bars inside the cab
– Multiple exhaust stack and battery box door styles
– With or without working drop steps, as appropriate
– Incredible underbody piping and conduit detail – a Rapido hallmark
– DC/Silent or DC/DCC/Sound versions featuring an ESU Loksound decoder with accurate recordings from a 567 prime mover
– Sound models feature an updated high-fidelity MP3 quality speaker
The SW1200 is available in the following roadnames plus 3 undecorated versions:
– Baltimore & Ohio
– Burlington Northern (ex GN)
– Chicago, Burlington & Quincy
– Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific
– Conrail (ex PRR)
– Denver & Rio Grande Western
– Grand Trunk Western
– Great Northern
– Milwaukee Road
– Missouri Pacific
– New Haven
– Northern Pacific
– Penn Central (ex NH)
– Soo Line
– Southern Pacific
For Canadian customers, the MSRP is $359.95 (DC/DCC/Sound) and $249.95 (DC/Silent).
As usual, these locomotives will be made to order.