6133 Blog: 23 June 2017

6133 Blog: 23 June 2017

Another week, another set of challenges for our veteran repairman, Chris Fox, while he works to get 6133’s second motor up and running. For the latest, we go live to Chris out in the field. Chris, how’s it going?

“Beauty day, eh?”

Indeed it is. What’s the latest you’ve got on 6133?

“Can I just give you my notes? I’m still working here!”

Sure, why not? Got pictures to go with them?

“Of course!”

Alrighty, take it away Mike Walden!

“Did you just call me Mike Walden?”

Umm … no …

“Here’s the notes. I’m going back to work!”

And there you have it folks! Work progresses on 6133 and we’ll keep you updated on what’s happening, right after this commercial break!

Chris’s office. Looks cozy.

Chris continued working on Engine no. 2 this past week. While 6133 is able to limp around on the one engine, we’re still pushing to get no. 2 online. It’s necessary if we ever want to get it out of the yard and onto the main.

Early in the day, Chris decided to tackle a rotten coolant hose that would need to be replaced. However, in the process of removing the quick disconnect for the coolant hose, a broken gasket was also found. Minor detail, but essential nonetheless.

Pretty certain a gasket is supposed to be a complete circle. Chris agrees with that one!

Further along, a crushed oil line was discovered while taking apart the no. 2 engine to assess what needs to be replaced. This line has now been added to said list. It’ll have to be fabricated and installed at a later date.

Crushed oil line. Unfortunately you can’t just buff that out.

After getting into the no. 2 engine, a seized cam follower was discovered following various tests and inspections. Chris believes this is directly related to a fatigued and broken spring assembly discovered earlier, which is designed to keep the cam follower from “floating” and causing damage to the cam shaft as the engine revs up and down. Without the spring working as it should, the cam follower could begin hitting the walls of the cam shaft, which can cause the exhaust valve to not fully close, leading to damage of the cam follower roller and even the cam shaft. If the exhaust valve was hit by the cam follower, that’d be even more damage necessitating replacement. Chris believes this is what led to 6133 being removed from service and sent to IRSI in the first place. Unfortunately, the overhaul never came and it’s up to us to get her running again.

With the cylinder head cover off, Chris examines the problem spot.

At this point, Chris came up with a 3 step program to resolve the problem:

Step one – try and get the cam follower out without taking the cylinder head off. If that fails, we go to step two …

Step two – remove cylinder head and see how much damage has been done and replace with spare head from spare engine. If even that fails, then we go to step three …

Step three – fully remove engine and transmission from 6133, separate engine and swap with the spare we brought back from Moncton.

Thankfully after 2 hours of work, Chris was able to safely remove the seized cam follower. It is indeed damaged beyond use, so it will need to be replaced.

Cam followers – The good (left) and the bad (right). Note the worn out, razor sharp edge on the bad one. We didn’t ask Chris if he proved it was indeed razor sharp.

Once that was out, Chris checked the cam shafts and thankfully they’re not damaged, so there’s no need for a full-scale replacement of the no. 2 motor! Hurray!

Inspecting the cam shafts of the no. 2 engine.

Every day brings new challenges and thankfully this past week, some good news. We’ve moved a significant step forward in getting both of 6133’s engines playing sweet, sweet music together!

Until next time!

Please click on the DONATE button below to contribute to our efforts to restore RDC 6133. Every little bit helps.

(Note: if you are outside Canada, leave the mailing address blank as PayPal
won’t accept a non-Canadian address for Canadian dollar contributions.)

rapidotrains.com download